The department organized sensitization programs for famers at various operational areas within the Municipality.
Farmers were made to understand that, due to some human activities on the environment and some natural changes in the atmosphere, climate has also changed. All these factors tend to hinder agricultural activities hence, the need to practice climate smart agriculture.
CAUSES OF CLIMATE CHANGE
- Slope of land
- Soil erosion
- Depletion of ozone layer
- Illegal mining
- Indiscriminate bush burning
- Indiscriminate sand winning
- Indiscriminate felling of trees (Deforestation)
- Indiscriminate use of agro chemicals
- Pollution of water bodies
MEASURES TO PUT IN PLACE TO HELP CURB CLIMATE CHANGE AND IMPROVE CLIMATE SMART AGRICULTURE
- Acquire land and prepare for planting
- Practice “no burn” technology
- Leave debris to decompose
- Purchase improved seeds
- Carry out germination test before planting
- Practice GAPs
Farmers were advised to add animal rearing to their farming activities to also help in adding additional income to their farming business. Typical examples are; snail rearing, mushroom rearing, bee keeping, small ruminant rearing, etc.
They were also advised to fully take advantage of any government flagship program.