Monitoring is a key component in Agricultural Extension delivery. It is a process of ensuring that planned activity implementation is carried out specification to meet target.
The Director of Agric. (MDA) and his team set out to monitor the activities being implemented by all Agric. Extension Agents (AEAs) and Municipal Agric Officers (MAOs) in the Modernizing Agriculture in Ghana (MAG) work plan.
The quarter under review is from July to September, 2022, and the monitoring covers all Operational Areas.
- Summary of Monitoring findings and Actions Taken
|MUN. ACTING DIRECTOR OF AGRIC
|MERCY ADOBEA OPARE
|JULIANA KEREWAAH ADU
|MAO (ANIMAL PRODUCTION OFFICER)
WHEN AND WHERE THE MONITORING WAS COMPLETED
WHAT WAS MONITORED
- PERD field performance.
- Data collection on the field.
- Cohesion of FBOs formed.
- Extent of PFJ and RFJ operationalization.
- FAW situation on the fields.
- Assess the mandatory group involvement in the implementation of planned activities.
- POSITIVE FINDINGS OF MONITORING
- Farmer co-operation is high.
- Understanding of the extension work among farmers is quite high.
- Farmers now have increase knowledge in the FAW management.
- Real commitment can now be visible on the part of farmers especially in the area of planned activity implementation.
- NEGATIVE FINDINGS OF MONITORING
- The absence of some simple tools and equipment is negatively affecting performance.
- Technical deficiency can be seen on the part of some AEAs.
- Untimely release of funds for implementation of planned activities.
- What issues need to be addressed?
- The problem of lack of simple tools and equipment.
- The problem of non-coherence in most of the FBO interacted with.
- The problem of untimely release of MAG funds for the implementation of planned activities.
- The problem of non-record keeping / improper record keeping.
- What are some of the lessons learnt
- Farmers’ involvement / participation in the implementation of planned activities is critical in adoption.
- Effective monitoring can be a motivation to farmers participating in a programme.
- Effective monitoring puts all category of staff on their toes.
- Effective collaboration with the Assembly help to minimize the problem of lack of support to the department of Agriculture.
- What is the monitoring plan for the following period?
- At least, a special time be set aside to visit the farms of at least 50% of the PERD beneficiaries.
- Corrective measures proposed are critically going to be monitored for adherence.
H: KEY MONITORING FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
|ISSUES / CHALLENGES
|Extreme weather conditions
|Both technical staff and farmers were sensitized occasionally on the effects of climate change and the way forward
|More Climate Smart activities should be implemented
|Farm lands being taken over by Estate Developers
|Farmers advised to make good use of any small piece of land within their domain by using GAPs to maximize yields
|Peri-Urban Agriculture should be intensified